LittleMissBookmark

Little Miss Bookmark

Just a blog about books ... the good, the bad and the very ugly.

I'm not ashamed to say that I totally judge a book by it's cover.

The Mark of the Dragonfly
The Book Thief
Markus Zusak
SPOILER ALERT!

By A Thread

By A Thread - Marty Beaudet I won this book through the Goodreads First Reads Giveaway on 12/17/2010!

I have really mixed feelings about this book. Some parts were amazing and some were completely unbelievable. Okay, I'll go through my thought process on this whole book. Hopefully I can straighten things out in my mind to convey them to you. The whole synopsis of this book intrigued me - what would happen if the president was killed, then the vice president was unable to serve, and what would happen when you found out that someone close to home was involved and maybe responsible? - this is what made me want to read the book (I love CIA/spy/government thrillers). I start reading and I can barely keep track of all of the characters and locations within the first 50 pages. The story is starting to unfold, so I keep reading. It read really easily - then every 10-15 pages, this huge long word would be thrown in and it didn't keep with the pace of the book. Thank goodness I knew what they meant, otherwise, I would have been consulting a dictionary every 5 minutes.

I think what may have really thrown me off initially is that in other books I have read, the paragraphs are together, in this book there is a double space between each paragraph/statement - my mind automatically assumes that the book is going to another location or will be focusing on other characters. This is not the case. It took me a while to get used to that.

Anyway, there is one thing in the book that is so far fetched (in my mind) - and it is the Muslim and Mormon's relationship. It felt forced in the book because it is so far from the realm of possibility. I thought the book was about a govermental coverup and then I'm in the middle of a man realizing he is gay and overcoming all of what he thinks are insurmountable barriers in front of him. To me, it didn't feel like it flowed with the story at all, but took a right hook somewhere in the plot.

All in all, it was an okay book. I really wanted to like it - especially since I was so excited to read it. I give it a 2.5 - not horrible, but not earth shattering story making either.

***Update***
Please read the comments attached to this review. It is the reason that I'm giving the book a 4 star rating ...