LittleMissBookmark

Little Miss Bookmark

Just a blog about books ... the good, the bad and the very ugly.

I'm not ashamed to say that I totally judge a book by it's cover.

The Mark of the Dragonfly
K.A. Tucker
The Book Thief
Markus Zusak

Deeper into the Void

Deeper into the Void - Mitchell A. Duncan I won this book through the Goodreads First Read Giveaway.

First off ... I actually give this book 3.5 stars but since they don't give you an option, I'm bumping it up to 4 since giving a 3 just wouldn't be right.

Okay. Down to the nitty gritty. I have a feeling this is going to be a long review ... lots, lots, lots to say! And remember, this is my personal opinion. In no way am I the majority view on this but these are my thoughts. Since I was given the book to review ... I'm going to do it honestly. This was a good book. What I have to say won't change that. I don't think.

One of my biggest issues with this book isn't the script style dialogue ... I really didn't mind that. It was a bit more confusing than just writing it the conventional way, but hey, everyone has to buck the system somehow.

My biggest issue with the book was just too many words. Why use 52 words, when just 7 would suffice?!? Duncan isn't a bad writer. He's actually a really good writer, but it felt like sometimes he was trying to describe the scene so much that by the end, I just didn't care. Here's an example of that - "Vibrant violet, brazen blue, enchanting emerald, ostentatious orange and raging red all pierce the air within ... ". Come on. While the author gets extra credit for finding an adjective that starts with the same letter as the color, it felt a little ... forced. And I understand that this is a book about another planet, so you have to do some amazing descriptions when you wouldn't have to do something so in depth if you were just talking about, let's say, a car. Because everyone knows what a car is. But still. Deeper into the Void is like this. On every page. I found myself skimming paragraphs, just picking up the important stuff so that I could move on because using 3 paragraphs to say, 'he opened the door' was a little tiring.

There were a couple other things, but I'm going to hit on just one more. Inanimate objects don't have thoughts. Here's an example of what I'm talking about, "The computer is probably trying to dissuade us from accessing certain files by altering the original versions.". When I got to this part, I had to put the book down for a while. In no other place, previous to this statement had the author insinuated that inanimate objects could think for themselves. The toilet never felt like it couldn't flush, the table never felt like holding stuff up. It just seemed out of left field for me.

All in all, a good book. But I think that the authors note in the beginning should have touched on the over descriptive scenes instead of the script style dialogue. If that had been the case, I could have prepared myself for it and instead of taking 3 deep breaths before I got to the first conversation, I would have done that before I started the book.

Duncan writes a clean book. No curse words or inappropriate situations and that is a breath of fresh air in these times. I might read another Duncan book.