LittleMissBookmark

Little Miss Bookmark

Just a blog about books ... the good, the bad and the very ugly.

I'm not ashamed to say that I totally judge a book by it's cover.

The Mark of the Dragonfly
K.A. Tucker
The Book Thief
Markus Zusak

The Patriot Paradox

The Patriot Paradox - William Esmont I won this book through the Goodreads First Reads Giveaway on 02/19/2011 and received it on 02/24/2011!

Let me start this off by saying that I am not a fan of authors I've never read. It is almost like a fear of rejection - I don't want to waste my time on a book that is going to stink and I want a refund from. This viewpoint sometimes makes it a little difficult to find things to read if my usual authors don't have anything new out. William Esmont has completely blown that to smithereens. I had never read anything by him and I knew nothing about him when I entered the giveaway for his book and I couldn't be happier that I won. I have a new author to put on my 'usual' list!

There are so many things that I want to say about The Patriot Paradox. First off, amazing book!! I love spy/goverment books and this is in my top two. It has been a long time since a book has grabbed me from the first page and then kept me hooked until I finished it. The characters were really well developed, the story VERY well written and the plot was gripping.

All too many times an author makes a hero indestructable. I love it when an author makes the hero flawed enough to be lifelike. I hate reading that "perfect" book, no one makes mistakes, the hero can't do wrong. I fell in love with the main characters from the beginning. They didn't make the right choices and you got to see the author work out the problems through them in a great way.

The Patriot Paradox was a nice change from all of the other spy/government books that focus on a middle eastern villan. I think that is tired fictional scenario and it desensitizes us from what is actually happening in our world. I'll hop off my soapbox now and talk about the rest of the book.

In my mind, I only saw one problem with the book. I wanted it to be longer!! Esmont could have kept me hooked for at least another 300 pages. Easily. And even then, I might be saying the same thing.

I have told so many people about this book, it is one of my favorites and I'll be on the lookout for other works by Esmont, because if they are anything like this book, I will be an eternal fan.