LittleMissBookmark

Little Miss Bookmark

Just a blog about books ... the good, the bad and the very ugly.

I'm not ashamed to say that I totally judge a book by it's cover.

The Mark of the Dragonfly
K.A. Tucker
The Book Thief
Markus Zusak

Color Her Red

Color Her Red - Crystal L. Shaw I was asked by the author to read her book (she was sweet enough to send me a copy) and provide a review for Goodreads.

First things first. The meat of the story is amazing. GREAT idea. I never would have expected all of the twists and turns.

That being said ... I was so close to becoming emotionally involved but it fell a little short. I think that there might have been a bit of a disconnect for me because I just couldn't relate to the characters. I think that who the characters are down to their most basic level just wasn't explored enough. Why is Emma so emotional? I know that what she's going through in the book had to be emotionally taxing but at some points in the story it felt like she blew up very easily and then other times, she would put up with a lot of things and not get emotional when I expected her to. The same overly-emotional thing goes for Thomas ... he seems to have a very short temper sometimes ... why? And why is he so controlling. I also would have liked to know more about Lillian ... where she came from, who she really was, why she was the way she was ... those types of things.

This isn't the first book from an author that I've read. Certainly not the first book I've read with typos ... but there were A LOT of typos. Some sentences weren't complete and there was no way to know what was meant or intended, some misspellings and a lot of wrong words used. Typos can be expected, but there were more than I had seen in a book before.

The incomplete characters and typos aside, it's a great book ... I'd read it again just because of the story line that Shaw came up with.