LittleMissBookmark

Little Miss Bookmark

Just a blog about books ... the good, the bad and the very ugly.

I'm not ashamed to say that I totally judge a book by it's cover.

The Mark of the Dragonfly
K.A. Tucker
The Book Thief
Markus Zusak

The Mission

The Mission - Larry Hunter I won this book through the Goodreads First Read Giveaway on 11/30/2010 and received it on 03/01/2011!

This is the part of reviewing books that I hate. When I have something less than flattering to say about a book. But I'm honest to a fault, so here it is.

First, let me state that I haven't yet finished the book. Actually, I've barely scraped the surface of the book.

I am having a really hard time getting into The Mission. It's for a couple of reasons. I felt that I needed to update my review even though I haven't finished the book, to let others read this in case they were thinking of purchasing this book.

Okay. The reasons that I'm having a hard time getting into this book: MAJOR punctuation problems and confusing paragraphs.

I'll break my issues down a little bit. The punctuation problems are what initially turned me off of the book a little bit. There are commas EVERYWHERE. I don't understand why there are so many commas. They are in places where they aren't needed and it confuses your mind. When you read anything your mind takes cues from the punctuation and the excessive use of these silly little commas throws the story into left field for me. No one else has commented on this in other reviews, so maybe they don't mind.

The next thing that bothers me is the fact that you will be reading a paragraph about something going on and then the next sentence is about something going on somewhere else. It takes you a moment to realize that it isn't talking about the situation you've been reading about for 5 minutes. Nooo, it's something completely different that is happening to someone else. Again, it has to do with how your mind comprehends things. If there was a double space, you would realize that you are starting to read a different part of the plot. Very confusing.

I don't know if the author is trying to do something off of the beaten path, if they didn't have an editor or if the editor was ticked off at the author. These issues shouldn't happen in an edited book - at least the comma part. Maybe Larry Hunter doesn't want the book to be formatted the same as other books, I don't know. What I do know is that I can't focus on the story very much because in my mind, I'm correcting all of these problems.

I'll keep reading the book, even if it takes me weeks. I owe that much to the author and Goodreads. You never know, there might be a plot and a story hidden behind all of those commas.

Okay, I just couldn't finish the book. I tried and tried. It shouldn't take me 3 weeks to finish this short of a book, but I just wasn't interested in it. I couldn't see past all of the punctuation errors and the book just got more and more confusing with it jumping from one area of time to another without any page breaks or anything and then from one character or plot of the book to another. Formatting wouldn't usually keep me from finishing a book, but it got to the point where I didn't care what happened because the story was just ... boring. Understandably, this is my own opinion and there are other people who loved the book. So if you're interested in reading it, please don't let this deter you. You might crack it open and find that it was a story that you can't put down. That just wasn't the case for me. I wish the author all the best in the world, but his style of writing is definitely not for me. I just feel really horrible that my opinion is like this because the author went to the trouble to have the Goodreads giveaway and then paid to have the book shipped to me. But this is my opinion, whether flattering or not.